- Which Is The Best Pregnancy Pillow On The Market?
- Boppy Custom Fit Total Body Pillow
- Giant U-Shaped Total Body Support Pillow
- Leachco Snoogle Pregnancy Pillow
- Pregnancy Wedge Pillow by Hiccapop
- Leachco Back N’ Belly Contoured Body Pillow
- Total Body Hypoallergenic Maternity Pillow
- Things to Look for When Purchasing your maternity cushion
By Beta Dad | Last Updated: August 10th, 2017
Pregnancy does not just bring a bundle of joy – it also brings a bit of discomfort and lack of sleep. If you have not reached the point in your pregnancy where it has affected your sleep, don’t worry. It is coming, that’s why we have compiled a list of the Best Pregnancy Pillows for 2017 /2018 Reviews for you to make your informed choice.
You sleep less during pregnancy for a myriad of reasons involving sleep positions. Fortunately, there are several different pillows for pregnant mothers that can help you get the rest you need.
During pregnancy, women are encouraged to sleep on their sides to help with overall circulation. Laying on your left side helps with circulation to your heart and the baby. Many women find it uncomfortable to sleep on their sides because this is not how they usually sleep. Additionally, their backs ache and need support. Of course, there is also the added weight of their belly.
My maternity body pillow was a life saver during my pregnancies. There are so many options – such as a body pillow for back and hip pain, a pillow for pregnant stomach sleepers, and more. How do you know which one is right for you? Since I know this is an item you will want and need in your bed, I decided to research some of the most popular maternity body pillows in various shapes and sizes to see which ones are the best in the market today.
Which Is The Best Pregnancy Pillow On The Market?
|Boppy Custom Fit Total Body Pillow||20x15x13 in | 4.4 lbs.||Full-Length||No. 1||Click Here|
|Giant U-Shaped Total Body Support Pillow||60x7x35 in | 10 lbs.||U-Shaped Full-Length||No. 2||Click Here|
|Leachco Snoogle Pregnancy Pillow||60x24.8x7.2 in | 3 lbs.||Horseshoe C-Shaped Total Body||No. 3||Click Here|
|Pregnancy Wedge Pillow||13.2x15x4.5 in | 11.2 oz.||Wedge||No. 4||Click Here|
|Leachco Back N’ Belly Contoured Body Pillow||51x33.5x8.8 in | 7 lbs.||U-Shaped Contoured Full-Length||No. 5||Click Here|
|Total Body Hypoallergenic Maternity Pillow||48x12 in | 8 lbs.||U-Shaped with Detachable Extension||No. 6||Click Here|
Let’s jump right into our discussion of these pregnancy pillows and what they have to offer moms-to-be.
Boppy Custom Fit Total Body Pillow
Boppy is the most recognized pregnancy pillow brand. This is because moms everywhere are introduced to Boppy nursing pillows as soon as they announce their pregnancies. In addition to these nursing pillows, Boppy has also developed a line of body pillows aimed to provide pregnant women with complete support from head to toe.
The Boppy pregnancy pillow is a contoured body pillow that is designed to fit the natural body lines. While many pregnancy pillows are shaped to wrap around the pregnant mom or on both sides, the Boppy Custom Fit Total Body Pillow is designed to be used on one side only much like a standard body pillow. The key difference is in its contoured shape. The pillow was designed with the help of a physical therapist with a special focus on helping with side sleeping during pregnancy.
A special feature of this pillow is that it is actually made of three separate attachable pieces so that women can create a pillow that works uniquely to meet their needs. For instance, the belly section is a flatter pillow, while the leg pillow is made to help with a hip strain. Women can rearrange the pillow by moving the Velcro sections.
In addition to providing support for your back or your belly depending on the side you place it on, the boppy pregnancy pillow is also easy to clean. The entire pillow may be washed in the washing machine.
Since it is made of 100% polyester fiber filler, it does tend to go flat over time. After a few months, many women noticed the pillow had flattened forcing them to fluff it frequently or rearrange the stuffing to make it comfortable and supportive. Another downside is that while the separate pieces are great in theory, the Velcro may become a nuisance. It is noisy and comes unfastened easily.
|Inexpensive||Flattens over time|
|Does not take up much space||Velcro is noisy and ineffective at times|
|May be rearranged as needed|
Giant U-Shaped Total Body Support Pillow
This giant u-shaped body pillow created by Moonlight Slumber is a full-sized pillow designed to provide comfortable support to the front and the back. It is essentially an oversized horseshoe shape that wraps from front to back allowing the pregnant woman to feel support on her back and her belly.
Crafted to be the high-end pregnancy pillow, it is one of the more expensive pillows on the market. The high price includes high quality, safe materials. The pillow is made of premium synthetic down and has a 100% organic pillow case that is hypoallergenic and odorless. The pillow is designed to allow air to move freely so that it does not hold germs or get hot during the night.
One of the major strengths of Moonlight Slumber’s Giant U-Shaped Total Body Support Pillow is that it does not flatten over time. It keeps its shape – even after being washed multiple times. While other pillows go flat during the duration of one’s pregnancy, this pillow is designed for long time use. Even more impressive, the pillow is soft and fluffy instead of the firm as you would expect.
The one complaint is that this pillow is huge. It weighs ten pounds itself and is very hefty. It takes up quite a bit of bed space. If you are sharing a bed, it may be tight. With its size, it also makes it difficult to take on travels or store.
|Retains its shape over time||Expensive|
|Front and back support||Large size|
|Made of high-quality materials|
Leachco Snoogle Pregnancy Pillow
The snoogle pregnancy pillow is the #1 best seller in body pillows for many reasons. Designed by an RN and a mom, it is designed to take the place of using multiple pillows for support. The pillow is shaped to follow your body’s shape, so it contours in this manner following your body’s natural curves. Like all maternity pillows, its purpose is to provide support for the back, belly, and hips.
This C-shaped pregnancy pillow is made to wrap around the woman’s body, but it can be used with the C curving the woman’s back or her belly. The extra-long midsection (the full part of the C) offers support whichever way the woman chooses to use it, while the curved ends are made to rest comfortably between the knees. Both help with back and hip pain.
This snoogle pregnancy pillow is also light and does not take up much space. For this reason, many moms are able to use this pillow as a nursing pillow after their little ones arrive.
Another feature is a machine washable pillow-sham; however, this case is difficult to put back on after being washed. This seems to be an issue with all pillows that have removable, washable cases instead of a full pillow that may be washed.
|Inexpensive||Pillowcase can be difficult to replace|
|C shape can be used to support front or back|
|Light and small|
|May be used as a nursing pillow after pregnancy|
Pregnancy Wedge Pillow by Hiccapop
For women who are looking for something smaller, a pregnancy wedge pillow is a great choice because it is designed to help with discomfort and back pain without taking up much space. This pregnancy wedge pillow is made of two different sides – one side is made of deluxe memory foam, and the other side is made of a firmer support foam.
With the two different sides, the woman can choose to use whichever she needs. As her pregnancy changes, she is able to flip the wedge to the side that works best at that time. Additionally, this wedge does not have only to be used under the pregnant belly. It may also be used behind her back or between her knees.
This wedge has a velboa cover that is very soft and washable. The lovely fabric is accompanied by airflow ventilation technology – essentially the pillow is designed to stay cool. It’s small; lightweight size also makes this pillow a convenient option for travel.
The downside of using a pregnancy wedge pillow is that it does not offer as much support as a full body pillow. The full body pillows offer more support for the duration of the pregnancy, while a wedge works best at the beginning of pregnancy. Due to its size and shape, it also has to be constantly readjusted.
|Cheaper option||Not as much support|
|Two different types of foam support||Must frequently be readjusted|
|Versatile uses (belly, back, knees)|
|Soft, cool fabric|
Leachco Back N’ Belly Contoured Body Pillow
Another leachco pregnancy pillow makes our list because it is considered the best maternity pillows for back pain by many. As the name suggests, this pregnancy pillow is contoured to provide support to both the back and belly. The curving U-shaped pregnancy pillow is hourglass shaped to follow body lines.
This pillow is made so that the woman does not have to readjust the pillow throughout the night ensuring a better night’s sleep. She simply turns from side to side as needed where she will receive support either way. Since this pillow is designed to offer full support, it is a little firmer in order to retain its shape.
Since the pillow wraps the body, it also works as a head pillow. The pillow is designed to be comfortable to the neck as well as the back and belly. However, there is an issue with the seam at the neck and shoulders that are noticeable. You can feel it, and it may be uncomfortable.
It features a zippered removable cover that is machine washable. Like most removable, washable covers, it is difficult to place back on the pillow after washing.
The stand out the issue with this leachco pregnancy pillow is the size. It is very large and takes up half of a queen bed. If you are sharing your bed, this may make things uncomfortable. Additionally, the pillow is so large that a woman may feel “lost” inside it. It is difficult to maneuver around – this is especially an issue at night when pregnant women have to get up frequently to use the restroom.
|Great for easing back pain||Pillow case cover is difficult to replace|
|Inexpensive||Large size makes it hard to move around|
|Support for the whole back and belly||Takes up a significant amount of space|
Total Body Hypoallergenic Maternity Pillow
This large U-shaped maternity pillow by Pharmadoc is designed to offer support to either one side or your full body by including a detachable extension. The pregnant woman can choose to remove this piece if it is unnecessary or uncomfortable. The total body hypoallergenic maternity pillow was created to provide support for your back, belly, hips, knees, and neck; its contoured shape meets the natural shape of your body.
The unique polyfill material will mold to the position you use it in, which makes it very comfortable. I found the material also felt cool to the touch and did not get hot. This is a major plus since pregnancy hormones tend to make women feel hot. You do not want a pillow that retains heat.
It also features a removable zippered pillow case that is machine washable, hypoallergenic, and dust mite resistant. For a woman with allergies, this is a nice bonus. Furthermore, this maternity pillow comes with a lifetime warranty.
While it is made of nice materials, it is not very thick. For instance, I could feel my knees pressing together even when the pillow was between them. Even so, this maternity pillow is very large. It would not be possible to use it in a twin bed, and it is a very tight fit in a queen bed.
|A lifetime warranty||Not thick|
|Detachable extension to support either one side or the full body||Very large size|
|Nice adaptable material|
|Fabric stays cool|
Things to Look for When Purchasing your maternity cushion
Ultimately, choosing a maternity pillow comes down to personal preference. Since women are all different heights, the length of the pillow will vary in its body coverage. Women are also all different sizes so the contouring of one pillow may work better than another. Additionally, sleeping positions vary from one woman to the next.
As we were reviewing these maternity pillows, we tried to keep this mind. However, there are some clear features and designs you should pay attention to when you are purchasing your own. To help you understand, let’s break down the key components.
Considering the type of pillow that you want.
- Full length – A full-length pregnancy pillow is shaped similarly to a standard body pillow. It is long and will only be used on one side of the body
- U–Shaped – This is a lengthy pillow that looks like a giant letter U designed to provide support to the front and the back. With a u-shaped maternity pillow, you will have a pillow on your belly and your back
- C-Shaped – A variation of the U-shaped, this pillow is designed to wrap the body by providing space for the head, the back, and between the knees. For those looking for a pregnancy pillow with a belly hole, this may be the right choice
- Wedge – A pregnancy wedge is a pillow that is small and shaped with a foam material to be placed under the belly, back, or between the knees
- Adaptable Parts – Some of the today’s pregnancy pillows are designed to be adapted to a woman’s body by being made of separate sections you may rearrange as needed
Other considerations when purchasing your cushion:
- Size – The size of pregnancy pillows ranges from small wedges to giant u-shaped pillows that take up most of the bed. Keep this in mind while you shop. Do you have enough room in your bed for a giant pillow? Will it take up too much space? When considering size, pay attention to the weight. The pillows we reviewed varied from 11 ounces to 10 pounds. That is a big difference. If you plan to use your pillow daily, will you be able to move it around easily? Will you have space to store it? If you travel often, you will need to factor this into your decision making as well.
- Care Instructions – For cleanliness and safety, you will also need to review the product’s care instructions. Some pillows are easier than others to take care of long term. Make sure the pillow or the pillowcase is machine washable. All the pregnancy pillows we reviewed are machine washable; however, either the entire pillow is washed or just the case. If you only wash the case, look at how the case is taken off and put on. Will it be easy to do? Also, consider how washing the pillow will affect its overall shape.
- Materials – Pregnancy pillows are made from a variety of materials such as different foam or polyester fiber filling. The material makes a big difference to each woman’s personal sleep preferences. If you are looking for a soft, fluffier pillow, test the material to see if it meets your expectations. If you are looking for a firmer pillow, look for a pillow that retains its shape. Several pregnancy pillows are made with memory foam materials, but a few are designed with materials that aim to keep the pillow cool throughout the night. This is an important consideration for some women. For others, it is important to have a pillow that is hypoallergenic or organic.
- Duration – Purchasing a maternity pillow, you should choose a pregnancy pillow that will at least last for the duration of your pregnancy. If you think a pillow will not stay firm or fluffy for a long period of time, then you should rethink your decision to purchase it. If the material seems cheap or it is poorly made, then it may not withhold frequent use. Keeping these ideas in mind, look for pillows that are made to last through your pregnancy and possibly, For instance, some pillows can later work as nursing pillows. We also reviewed a pregnancy pillow that offers a lifetime warranty.
- Price – Naturally, one of the biggest factors when considering which pregnancy pillow to buy is the price. The price for these pillows is a wide range. A pregnancy wedge is around $20, while the actual pregnancy pillows range from around $45 to $100. Most pregnancy pillows are in the $50 range. However, if you are willing to spend more, you can purchase a pregnancy pillow made with higher quality materials.
If you are having a hard time getting a good night’s rest because of your ever-growing pregnant belly, a pregnancy pillow is a great choice. These are designed to provide a woman the support she needs on her back, belly, and hips. These cushions are shaped to help you stay comfortable in the coming months.
With many options, you should be able to find a pillow that meets your needs. Hopefully, this list of our favorite pregnancy pillows will help you find one that is the right size, shape, and material to make your evenings more peaceful. Sleep well, you’ll need the rest before your little bundle joins the family!